Saturday, June 18, 2011

Hatyai

I had the most adventurous trip to Hatyai just over the weekend. Took a night bus from the new Puduraya terminal. The place has been nicely renovated, fully air-conditioned, new and comfortable seats. The most annoying part is that you have to pay 30 cents to use the toilets. My bus left on time at 9;30 p.m. The journey to Hatyai was long because the bus keep stopping from places to places for toilet break, to pick up people and also for food. We reach the Thai border at around 6 a.m. and the queue was pretty long. After a long night on the bus, I finally reach at 8 a.m. Got to freshen up in the hotel and off we went to hunt for some Thai breakfast.

Found a small shop near the hotel selling dim sum, pork knuckle rice and fish ball noodles. The fish ball noodles is really nice! I choose the flat noodles instead of the common vermicelli and wanton noodles.

Thai fish ball noodles

There were assorted fish cakes, wantons and also fish balls in the noodles. The bean sprouts are fresh and the soup is really tasty. Fish sauce, soy sauce, chili powder are provided on the table. My friend put too much chili powder into the soup and his lips was burning red after the meal.

We were driven to the workshop center after the meal as it starts at 10 a.m. My friend went for shopping instead since he was just accompanying me to Hatyai. In the workshop, we were served fresh Thai Mangoes. It was bright yellow, sweet and juicy. During lunch break, we had Pad Thai. It was really yummy except that it was a bit too salty.

Freshly cut Thai mangoes

Pad Thai

After the workshop, we managed to grab a bite and walk around before our bus at 7 p.m. Due to the hot and sticky weather, we opted for Mc'Donalds. How can you not have the Mc'Donalds Samurai burger (pork)? It was juicy and yummy but of course their previous pork burger was much nicer than this.

Thailand's Samurai Pork Burger

Look at the size. Left is Large in Thailand. While the one on the right is medium. Very different from Malaysia.

Special Tuna pie

Tuna Pie: It was ok.

Walked around near our bus station for a bit. We went into the supermarket and look what I found. Indonesian Satay and Bangkok Grilled Chicken flavor for Pringles. It is only RM3.70. I did not buy it though as I find it a hassle to carry it back to KL.


The bus back to KL was scary! There were only 5 of us on board and the driver speed all the way out of Hatyai. Then he stop for a while because there seems to be some sound coming from the engine. I was too tired that I fell asleep in the journey but I did wake up a while here and there. I remember stopping at Gurun to pick up some passengers but they were no where to be found and the bus was stuck in a small roundabout. Later on I remember the driver stopping us at the side of the road and asked us to hop onto a Plusliner bus. The seats were tight and I could barely move. We finally reach KL at around 5 a.m. Waited for another friend to pick us up and I only managed to get home around 730 a.m. It was an extremely tiring trip but an exciting one.

No comments: